Sunrise Agrifarm was established in 2016 and been making leaps and bounds in growth and innovation over the past years, and have spread its foot prints all across South Africa and beyond completing numerous projects. The merit of our Company is to offer a comprehensive service of design, fabrication, supply and installation of greenhouse tunnels across South Africa and Sub-Sahara region. We can ensure timely project completion, end to end quality management and budget control.
What is Tunnel Farming?
Tunnel farming is growing of different crops in a Greenhouse structure with walls and roof made chiefly of transparent material, such as plastic or netting ,in which plants requiring regulated climatic conditions are grown inside .These structures range in size from small sheds to industrial-sized buildings .The interior of a greenhouse exposed to sunlight becomes significantly warmer
than the external temperature, protecting its contents in cold weather. Many commercial Greenhouses Tunnels or hothouses are high tech production facilities for vegetables, flowers or fruits. The Vegetable Tunnels are filled with equipment including heating, cooling, lighting, and may be controlled by a computer to optimize conditions for plant growth
Ventilation in a Green House?
Ventilation is one of the most important components in a successful greenhouse. If there is no proper ventilation, greenhouses and their growing plants can become prone to problems. The main purposes of ventilation is to regulate the temperature and humidity to the optimal level, and to ensure
movement of air and thus prevent the build-up of plant pathogens (such as that prefer still air conditions. entilation also ensures a supply of fresh air for photosynthesis and plant respiration, and may enable important pollinators to access the greenhouse crop.
Things to consider when you want to start a Tunnel:
- Know your market – You must know your market for the products you want to grow.
- Water supply – Make sure you have enough water for your project, a tunnel structure can use up to 2500l if water per day in peak season.
- Hydroponic or soil – If you go for your land soil make sure the soil is good otherwise you can take for soil testing.
- Tunnel height and ventilation – Normal height is determined by the plant you want grow inside.
- Training and management – Trained staff can help you be profitable.
- Size of the project – Each project can be managed differently .You don’t need to have more labour because can easily diminish your profitability.
- Area and condition- Area can play big role in tunnel farming because some areas are very hot and heavy winds and some areas are very cold and have snow.
- Greenhouses can be supported with plastic and net covering to support weather conditions. These greenhouses are very strong and work well in all weather conditions.
Advantages of Greenhouse Tunnels
Growing throughout the season
Increased crop yield
Protects against pests and diseases
Saves cost on fertilizers
Maximum yield quality and quantity benefits compared to an open Non-protected system
Good for climate control
Protection of plants from bad weather & solar radiation